Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Freeganism - The 5 second rule times 5760


This post is inspired by one of the comments in an earlier post...

Freeganism is a movement where citizens dig through trash looking for free food. This is done by some to cut the cost of eating. Others are trying to reduce the impact on the earth by eating food that would otherwise go to the landfill. Still others are anti-consumerists and don't want to give money to the man... AND want to reduce impact.

Now that most of you are repulsed, let me explain a few other things. They are not digging through your trash. They are also, for the most part, not eating food that has already been munched on. Freegans look for fruits and veggies that can be washed, as well as still packaged food.

Freegans target areas where there is a high concentration of food per dumpster... like restaurants and food stores.

I could add more commentary, but I've done my due diligence to the subject. If interested, you can read more here and here.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

I am so glad you wrote about this, it is worthy to mention that many freegans are actually very wealthy people. There was a news story on it once (that is how I learned about it) and there were lawyers, and many successful business people meeting up in large groups, once a week at night, to search for food and even discarded items, such as brand new bedding and furniture. Crazy, huh?