Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Family Roots

Where did I come from? A couple of years ago, I began researching my family history to find out the answer. It's fascinating to see the family connections, and where everyone lived.

My mom spent a few years working on family history during the 1970's. Since then, technology has improved drastically. I was able to take the information she found and expound upon it. I now have information on 2500+ relatives and ancestors. It's amazing the proof you can find on each person. I have found census records, birth/marriage certificates, and war registrations. It has also been fun making connections with 3 of my distant cousins, coming from both the maternal and paternal line. We have been able to help each other find new information. My grandmother was the log keeper when her father built a boat and moved to Alaska on the "Wynoochie." (Picture above) I have the original log book. I also have a copy of a tribute about my great-great grandmother written by her daughter and grand-daughter.

Family history becomes addicting. I seem to work very diligently for a few weeks finding tons of new info and then take a break for a couple of months because I don't have time for anything else while I'm researching the family history. If anyone would like help getting started, let me know, I would love to help.

3 comments:

Juli said...

I've tried starting mine a couple of times but I never seem to find anything and then I give up. Are you using a certain website?

Carissa said...

Amen to Juli's comment, I have tried and find nothing, with no Mormon history at all, I always give up, but I really feel a need to get going on it, where do you go to get legit info.?

TJ said...

Email us all the info you have and we'll get you going. It helps tons if you have names that belong to great grand parents.